Saturday, September 19, 2009

Vocabulary

I wanted to post a little 'vocabulary' lesson about coupons. So many folks that are starting out don't understand all the types of coupons and how to use them. It was a nightmare to me! I hope that this can be of use to someone.

MANUFACTURER COUPON- A coupon that a manufacturer of a product puts either in a newspaper insert, online, home mailer, etc...

STORE COUPON- A coupon that is ONLY good at ONE STORE. Publix and Bi-Lo both have these. Publix has booklets in the front of their store in a little kiosk thing that has coupons. However, sometimes there will be manufacturer coupons in these books. Bi-Lo normally has their store coupons in the Bonus Saver that you can find in the front of the store next to the weekly ads. Also, please note that PUBLIX will take a competitor's store coupon! You should be able to 'stack' a store and a manufacturer coupon to maximize savings. Some stores will not allow you to; even though it is their corporate policy to accept it.

STACKING-Using more than one coupon legally. For example, you cannot buy one box of cereal and use two manufacturer coupons. You could, however, use a Publix store coupon and a manufacturer coupon for one box of cereal unless either coupon prohibits it.

BOGO-Stands for Buy One, Get One. Unless otherwise noted, it means buy one, get one FREE when listed on this blog.

CATALINA COUPON- A coupon that prints at check-out. Publix has yet to get these. Quite honestly, I don't look for them to. Food Lion has some REALLY great deals along with their coupons every now and again. One time, they had a special one that if you bought seven Kellogg's cereals you got a $10 Catalina. The cereal went buy one, get one free (BOGO from here on out). I loaded up. I spent 11.19 on seven boxes of cereal and got back a $10 Catalina to use on my next order. What do you think I did? ROLLED IT!

ROLLING- When you put a coupon right back into what you just did. For example, when I did the cereal deal and got that catalina, I went right back and got more cereal. I believe at one point in time we had a little over 250 boxes. It is all gone now, but it was great while it lasted. I never thought I would hear my kids say they were sick of Frosted Flakes, Froot Loops and Corn Pops! LOL.

IP - Coupon that is printed off of the internet.

OOP - The amount of money you spent Out Of your Pocket.

OYNO- This stands for On Your Next Order (on your next purchase).

PEELIES-These are coupons that are stuck to a product like a sticker and you have to peel them off. These are most always a manufacturer coupon. The only time I have ran into anything different is at Publix. About half the time at Publix, they are store coupons. Also note, that many times these do say VOID UNLESS REMOVED BY CASHIER. This is because they have older products that they want to get rid of. Check the dates on products BEFORE you purchase them!

UPC-The barcode of an item

WINE TAG-A coupon that is found on the neck of a wine bottle.

RAIN CHECK-These are essentially IOU's from a store to you. When they run out of something that is on sale, you can as for one of these in order to allow you to come back to purchase these items at the sale price; even if the sale has ended. If they are out of something, I always ask for a raincheck even if I did not go in to buy it. That way, if coupons come along for that item that make it a good buy, I get a savings!

STOCKPILE-This means to purchase multiples of the same item to have some on hand at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment